Double cleansing the skin is all the rage now and for good reason. Just as masks, serums, toners and all the makings of an elaborate skincare routine are important to the skin. Cleansing the skin itself is an important step that shouldn’t be overlooked. It is time for another “new discovery” how do you cleanse/wash your face? You have probably heard someone talk about it. Well, get a cup of tea, your pen, and paper and start jotting because the class is in session. I’m just kidding but if you feel the need to take notes please do so.
What is it?
Double cleansing is a deep
How to double-cleanse
Double cleansing is a two-step process. Step one involves using a cotton pad with micellar water or a cleansing balm/oil ( e.g. Clinique take the day off balm, the ordinary squalane cleanser, coconut oil). This breaks down makeup, SPF, and any environmental pollutant on the skin surface.
The second step involves using a water-based cleanser to wash your face. This step is usually faster than the first one but needs to be taken seriously. This means, just splashing your face with water and calling it a day is not enough. Also, you need to take at least a minute (60 seconds) when washing your face with your hands. The 60-seconds-rule was made popular by Nayamka Roberts-Smith (
When to double cleanse?
It is advisable to carry out double-cleansing during your night routine. This is because, a busy day usually involves lots of products (skincare, makeup, and SPF) and environmental pollutants.
Importance of double cleansing
- Double cleansing ensures that your skin is free from every single scrap of grime.
- It decreases dullness of the skin by brightening your complexion.
- Also, it allows your night-time routine products to penetrate into the skin and do what is expected of them instead of just sitting on the surface.
- It helps clear your skin from environmental pollutants and bacteria that might cause congestion.
- It helps to clean out your pores thereby protecting you from breakouts.
- Double cleansing is a very easy step to incorporate into your routine.
As always, there is such a thing as doing too much (see also: doing the most), Therefore, I feel the need to state two things;
- It is not necessary to double cleanse morning and night. Even though you wash (cleanse) your face at these times anyway, only double cleanse at night.
- Ensure that you are using the right cleansers for your skin type to avoid irritating the skin.
Do you double-cleanse? which products do you use? please let me know in the comment section.